discuss: Up the brown smelly creek!

Subject: Up the brown smelly creek!
From: "Ed Sloma" ####@####.####
Date: 31 May 2001 14:22:46 -0000

Hi folks, I'm new to this list and new to Linux.  My co-worker and I were
trying to make a backup hard disk using Parted from GNU.  Between it locking
up and having to power off, and some confusion on whether we really were
copying to the new disk or to the old disk........  Well all of /usr is gone
which was /dev/hda5 which was what we were copying.   Now when we boot( red
hat 7.0 )  we get stopped during the file system check with:

hda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
inode 175297 has illegal blocks

/dev/hda5 : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: run fsck manually.
(i.e without -a or -p options)

An error occurred during file system check dropping you to a shell .

This gives us a repair file system prompt and access to what is left of the
system.
As you can imagine the system we have is a few cans short of a six pack.  We
do have debugfs.  When we use debugfs and do a stat on the bad nodes like
175297 we see link = 1 and no deletion date listed.   So it appears that the
files are still there.
When we do a cat we get:

Attempt to read block from file system resulted in short read while reading
ext2 file.

A dump gives us the same error.

isdel gives a list of 31 files deleted in 1969 or 2027 but nothing of use

ncheck gives us :  bad inode

ln gives us a file with the correct size but vi'ing it gives us read errors

We do have a list(very long) of inodes with problems but we haven't found
anything to do with it yet.

It would be really nice to be able to get /usr back.  Particularly to have
the correct names of files etc. as the stuff we were suppose be backing up
was under /usr  We have read the mini howto on undeletetion from GNU and
have emails to/from the author of parted and the author of the undeletetion.
Any suggestion, explanations of the error messages, rude comments, etc would
be appreciated.

I'm a volunteer fireman and at a station I know of they have a big sign
inside that reads "People don't call us when they did something smart."
Well we're doing the calling hopefully someone will answer.

Ed Sloma
Binghamton Simulator Company
151 Court Street
Binghamton, NY  13901
Phone 607-722-6178 ext 308
Fax 607-722-3823
In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality they are not.