discuss: why the bible translation howto is inappropriate for LDP

Subject: Re: why the bible translation howto is inappropriate for LDP
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 23 May 2004 21:30:46 -0000

Hi

> >2)This particular software is meant to translate
> the
> >bible
>
> Who cares? Why is it your business (or anyone
> else's) what his task is? If
> I use Windows software that drives a robot arm to
> scratch me in odd places,
> and I write a HOWTO on successfully using this with
> Linux, and you find my
> scratching objectionable, will you disapprove of
> that HOWTO as well? What
> the software does (as long as it's not *harmful* to
> the public good, yadda,
> yadda, yadda) is IRRELEVANT.

I think the content is important. If its something
obscure like scratching I would still object to it
being part of tldp. Someone should do a technical and
language review and do the work related to cvs and
formats conversions including storage space. I dont
want it to be misused for  a scratching howto.

> >2)The focus of the howto is on translating the
> bible
> >which by itself is non technical.
>
> No! Again you go back to the material with which he
> works. The Bible is
> irrelevant.

The bible is relevant because the author claims that
it is different from translating other material. I
want to know why.

> Bluntly, I think you're looking for reasons to
> object, and that your actual
> objections are not at all technical.

Oh. what else could it be then.

> >  It is according to
> >the Author himself non generic and will not apply
> >translation of generic content. If it does then it
> >should go into a translation howto.
>
> Oh, I see. Non-generic is now a Bad Thing.

I dont think i said non generic is a bad thing. i said
i fail to see why this couldnt be made as something
generic. very different things.

>          a) why not let the author educate you a
> little?

Sure. i welcome his comments on list

>          b) what are you objecting to?

see above.

> >4)I think we are *much* better if we reject any
> >documents related to religion, sexism and such
> thing
> >keep LDP documents technical in nature with few if
> any
> >exceptions. example) linux marketing howto

i specifically said linux marketing howto or such
stuff is still relevant even if its technical.

regards
Rahul