discuss: why the bible translation howto is inappropriate for LDP

Subject: Re: why the bible translation howto is inappropriate for LDP
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 22 May 2004 05:28:10 -0000

Hi,

I think the real question you should be asking is what does the howto do.

Does he explain ways of translating the bible using tools on a gnu/linux
based operating system? (a).

Or (b) is he trying to use this howto to express his own political views of
the bible?

I think (a) is just fine, (b) is a different story.

Although maybe you (as in everyone) should wait till you see some kind of
draft....

Regards,
Gareth

>From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
>To: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
>CC: Rahul Sundaram ####@####.#### ####@####.####
>Subject: Re: why the bible translation howto is inappropriate for LDP
>Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 21:52:03 -0700
>
>On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:13:17PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > I can't resist mentioning both the Coffee HOWTO and the Lego HOWTO as
>some
> > of my favorites. :-)
>
>An author of the Coffee once told me they would change the name.  But I
>guess they never did.  We rejected the Tea HOWTO.  It's really on the
>topic as to how to turn on an electric switch using Linux.
>
>As for the Bible, it is an important document of ancient history and
>mythology.  The problem is that it's not being translated primarily so
>that scholars and others can study the history and mythological aspects
>of it.  Instead, it is being translated mainly for the purpose of
>proselytizing and claiming that this is the absolute word of God.
>And parts the Bible have been used to justify all kinds of wrongdoing
>such as slavery.  In Leviticus 20: 13 it says: If a man lies with a male
>as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death ...
>
>			David Lawyer

>http://lists.tldp.org/

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2