discuss: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 22 May 2004 00:20:47 -0000

At 12:47 5/21/2004, doug jensen wrote:
>It really isn't appropriate for a technical site.

See my reply to Rahul, please. It appears to me that you are objecting
based on the content of the Bible and the fact that said content is, for
you, controversial.

While I do not challenge your views on the Bible, the HOWTO Teus wants to
write *is* a technical HOWTO on how to move people who translate Bibles
from Windows to Linux. As I said earlier, he could also have focused on a
HOWTO about translating other texts which are highly contextual in nature
(old Greek medical texts, for example, or anything with very specific
meanings for words and phrases). He could even have focused on translating
hieroglyphics.

The point is that he is not writing a HOWTO about the Bible, its content,
beliefs, or anything remotely similar. He is writing about how to translate
it (and you can then apply that knowledge, if at all possible, to other
translation tasks). Controversial HOWTO's include the "Encouraging Women in
Linux HOWTO" (remember *that* little argument?); very specific HOWTO's
include the "PCTel-MicroModem-Config", and so on. So why single out this one?

Would you have said the same thing if he wanted to write a HOWTO on moving
his task of translating "Romeo and Juliet" to Linux? No? If the answer is
no, then your objection is to the content or nature of the Bible and, IMHO,
misplaced. This HOWTO is entirely appropriate for LDP.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz