discuss: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)

Subject: Re: Bible Translation HOWTO (new)
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 21 May 2004 05:46:09 -0000

At 23:32 5/20/2004, s. keeling wrote:
>A HOWTO on how to use a commercial app to run another commercial app
>designed for a commercial operating system, on Linux; my only comment
>would be, why drag Linux into this?

 From Teus's post: "The HOWTO will cover the software that is currently
available for Linux (and that is not much, but there is some) ... then call
for new software to be written." If the only way for Linux users to perform
this task today is to use these tools, then helping them is valid. Again,
his point was also to promote the creation of better software for Linux.

>Why is this specifically about Bible translation?  There is lots of
>need for translating generic documents from one language to another.
>What's the Bible got to do with it?

Come on, s. keeling... you know better than that! Because the Bible (and
the Koran, and the Talmud...) are anything *BUT* generic documents.
Translation in these cases is extremely delicate in that there is usually
already an accepted text in the other language, and in that regardless of
the level of accuracy, people reading it out of religious belief rather
than literary interest place a great deal of weight and value on the exact
meaning and intent of each word and phrase.

Besides, he *wants* to deal with Bible translation and not generic
translation. If you look at it subjectively, it's just as valid a want/need
as any other.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz