discuss: How the LDP works . . . .

Subject: Re: How the LDP works . . . .
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2004 12:14:15 -0000

Good morning, Stuart!

 : Please forgive me if this is in the FAQ somewhere, I looked
 : around but didn't get my questions answered.  Here are three
 : questions about the mechanics of submitting a HOWTO to the LDP:

Most of these questions are answered in the Author Guide [0].

 : 1.  Are there editors who will proof and edit the doc, or does
 : the LDP just take the submission and stick it on the web
 : (assuming it meets some threshold of acceptability)?

There is a review coordinator who will arrange for both a technical
and a language review of your submission to see that it meets a
threshold of acceptability.  We expect the submission in almost any
format, although it will be converted to a DocBook format if you do
not submit it already in XML/SGML DocBook.  We accept DocBook and
linuxdoc formats.

 : 2.  How do I turn it in?  Must I mail it in, or can I provide a
 : link to the doc on a web page?  I would prefer to have some
 : feedback before I just e-mail it in, that's why a link is better
 : -- I can point readers to the link & solicit criticism.  Then,
 : when I am happy with the doc, I can send a "go get it" e-mail.
 : Is this acceptable?

If it's enormous, make the source (and a copy of the output, if
possible) available on a web page, otherwise mail in your working
source to the ####@####.#### address.

 : 3.  I have some formatting errors; I am not an sgml expert.
 : Should I work through my errors myself, or just hand the text in
 : and let the experts deal with the sgml?  After all, if the LDP
 : re-formats submissions as a matter of course anyway, then I'd
 : rather just submit what I have and let the experts deal with
 : finalizing the format.

Without knowing specifically what your formatting concern is, I'd
suggest simply turning in what you have.

When you submit your document, please include a brief description of
where you think it fits in the LDP ontology and, if there are
similar documents, why yours should be a separately maintained
document, not incorporated into an existing one.

Once you have submitted, you'll be contacted by the review
coordinator (Emma Jane Hogbin is functioning review coordinator at
the moment) with a brief description of the remainder of the review
and acceptance process.

-Martin

  [0] http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/

--