discuss: SPICE (analog simulation) HOWTO proposal and some Docbook issues

Subject: Re: SPICE (analog simulation) HOWTO proposal and some Docbook issues
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 2004 17:26:50 -0000

At 10:37 5/16/2004, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>3.  As far as I can tell, ####@####.#### sends out e-mails
>without a [TLDP-Discuss] identification in the subject line.  As
>somebody else pointed out earlier, it is unfortunately now common to
>receive hundreds of spams/day.  One way I sort out desired e-mail from
>spam is to look for an identifying tag in the subject line.  Is it
>possible the the LDP could configure the e-mail majordomo to include
>an ID tag in the subject line?

Possible, yes. But this is an argument that has come up many, many times in
the past on most mailing lists, and the answer is that *yes*, it can be
done. However, it is not the best or most desirable way to do it since it
makes list subjects longer, real subjects harder to read, and provides no
real benefit. "But wait," you say, "how do I separate it from all the spam
I get?" And the answer is filters.

Every decent mailing list adds several headers which are not immediately
visible, but which you can see if you want and which you can use. In this
case, I've posted some of the headers from your message:

To: ####@####.####

You could, for example, simply select all mail sent to
####@####.#### and filter that into a separate folder. 99.9%
accurate right there. Or, you can use any of the other headers to filter.
The generally accepted "Best Demonstrated Practice" is to put all messages
of a given type (discuss-list, docbook-list, redhat-list, debian-list,
wifi-list, personal, etc.) into their own folder using filters. That way
you can read whatever type of mail you choose at that moment in time. Spam
will be either left in your inbox, or caught by anti-spam software.

Adding [subj] tags to the subject is a logical idea, and not in itself
wrong. There is a better way, though, which is why most lists with
knowledgeable subscribers don't use those tags.

>Please forgive my presumption for just barging in here and making a
>bunch of requests!  Hopefully I can help out here with some HOWTOs of
>interest to electrical engineers and circuit designers!

But how nice of you to barge in! <smile> I wish more people did some
barging... then Linux would grow and mature and be accepted more quickly.
Anyway, make yourself at home. I have yet to formally finish and submit
even my first HOWTO, yet I've been handing out opinions left and right on
this list for a good six months now. Sorry I can't help you with your other
questions, but don't worry about the barging; this is a volunteer-operated
group and they/we welcome anyone who wants to help.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz