discuss: SPICE (analog simulation) HOWTO proposal and some Docbook issues

Subject: SPICE (analog simulation) HOWTO proposal and some Docbook issues
From: ####@####.#### (Stuart Brorson)
Date: 16 May 2004 16:37:31 -0000

Hello --

I just subscribed to this list because I am trying to create a docbook
version of my HOWTO about doing analog circuit simulation on Linux,
and I wanted to follow the "accepted procedure" so that it could be
eventually hosted on tldp.org.  I originally wrote a HOWTO on this
subject about one year ago, and have been hosting it on my website
since then. You can find it here:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/intro.html

The whole area of Linux as an engineering workstation is currently
taking off, and I think it valuable to have HOWTOs in place for
the arriving hordes . . . .

Here are some things I'd like to discuss here:

1.  Is the LDP interested in hosting such a HOWTO?  It seems to me
that there is lots of interest in SPICE on Linux:  I field lots of
questions from folks who have used my HOWTO and are trying to do
simulations.  However, I don't want to be presumptous & just mail in
my HOWTO without hearing that the LDP is interested in it.

2.  I am using LyX 1.2.3 to create the docbook sgml.  Unfortunately,
the sgml output of this version of LyX is broken (not well-formed).
Specifically, it seems to often output </SECT3> without an opening
<SECT3>.  Other closing tags are also emitted without an opening tag.
Is this a known problem?  Do other versions of LyX fix this problem?
What (if any) is the known way to fix this?

3.  As far as I can tell, ####@####.#### sends out e-mails
without a [TLDP-Discuss] identification in the subject line.  As
somebody else pointed out earlier, it is unfortunately now common to
receive hundreds of spams/day.  One way I sort out desired e-mail from
spam is to look for an identifying tag in the subject line.  Is it
possible the the LDP could configure the e-mail majordomo to include
an ID tag in the subject line?

Please forgive my presumption for just barging in here and making a
bunch of requests!  Hopefully I can help out here with some HOWTOs of
interest to electrical engineers and circuit designers!  Thanks for
your time,

Stuart Brorson