discuss: small & silent servers

Subject: small & silent servers
From: Christian Schnobrich ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2004 15:41:25 -0000

Hello,

I've got some questions... and want to prove that I'm serious.

Below is a sort of table of contents for my HOWTO. I'm aware that
posting it to the list is not the best option, but I absolutely wnat to
get something out of the door. Sorry to all low-bandwidth users out
there (if there still are any).
The actual text is quite finished down to the "Fans" section, the
remainder is mostly in existence, but a terrible mess at the moment.

Would someone agree to put it up on his/her website, and update it once
a week? (I don't belive that I will change it more often)
While I've surely got some webspace with my ISP, I never bothered to
find out how to make use of it; and I don't want to set up a web
presence with all it's legal sideshows. At least not yet. Maybe next
year.

Then, my text is in german. It's too early to have it translated, I
believe -- quite likely some peer review will lead to many changes and
additions. But how do I get german peer review? I did subscribe to this
mailing list only because I couldn't find a german list. Or did I miss
something?

cu,
Schnobs

---TOC of small-and-silent-servers---

General Considerations

* what do I mean with "small & silent"?
* security
* Maintenance
* power consumption
* noise: avoidance and dampening

Suitable Hardware

* general run-down

* old and new disks
-- general
-- new disk and old BIOS
-- SCSI and noflushd
-- flash devices
-- CD-ROM
-- no disk

* MoBo & CPU
--general
--new Hardware (epia)
--386
--486
--586(old)
--586(not quite as old)
--PII, PIII, Celeron
--Athlon & Duron

* Power Supply

* Fans

Setup

* general rules

* truly fanless? (that's difficult)
--how much heat may be exchanged passively (ISO 6946)
--"hot spots"

* encore: power consumption and excess heat
--very brief summary
--power consumption measurements
--fan rpm measurements
--passive heat exchange

* setup: specifically for small & silent
--airflow inside the box
--air exchange with the outside world
--dust filter
--fan rpm control
---sense and (lack of) use
---do-it-yourself
--noise insulation
---for harddisks
---for the case

How to force a harddisk into standby mode

* noflushd: common gotchas

* how to operate services from RAM