discuss: New HOTWO Proposal - Source Code Auditing HOWTO

Subject: New HOTWO Proposal - Source Code Auditing HOWTO
From: Steve Kemp ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 2004 14:16:14 -0000

  I've been interested in computer security for a while, and have been
 performing a lot of source code audits in my spare time.

  As part of a website I'm trying to put together a document explaining
 how these are constructed, and it seems logical to me that this could
 be written in docbook format and submitted to the TLDP.

  I've had a look over the current HOWTOs and I don't see anything
 immediately comparable.

  My intention is that the source code auditing HOWTO will fit the
 gap between those documents describing secure programming practises
 and those which describe how to exploit buggy software.

  The piece is work in progress and is devided up as follows:

   1.  General
   2.  Intro
   3.  Choosing a target program.
   4.  Automated auditing with tools.
   5.  Manual inspection.
   6.  Reporting problems.
   7.  Further information.

  Any comments would be greatfully received.  I guess my biggest
 concern right now is that the subject scope might be very narrow
 and too specific to be interesting to other readers?

Steve
--
# Debian Security Audit Project
http://www.shellcode.org/Audit/