discuss: Unmaintained: BASH Programming - Introduction HOWTO

Subject: Re: Unmaintained: BASH Programming - Introduction HOWTO
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 6 May 2004 16:52:19 -0000

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:36:12AM -0500, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2004, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > It looks like your new Guide replaces this "Unmaintained" document:
> > 	http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

> I remember this post and also found it again:
> http://lists.tldp.org/index.cgi?1:mss:6445
> This is from Jan 2004 and states that Jeremy Heilman will be the new
> owner.  Have we heard from him since?

I haven't heard from him, and the Unmaintained list actually says that
Francis Litterio ####@####.#### is supposed to be the new maintainer.
I'll have to ask around to see who's really responsible for it....

Just to clarify, we now have four Bash documents in our collection:
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/
	http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
	http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSSHELL needs to be
updated)

> > Also in the unmaintained list:
> > 	http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/Colour-ls
> > could be replaced by:
> > 	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x329.html
>
> No, this is only related because it is about colours, imho.  But Colour-ls
> is now a non-issue, since everybody using Linux has it by default, if I'm
> not mistaking.  It is still an issue on Solaris, but that's not our
> problem here :)

Yes. The first document is only about colours, and the specific page in
the second document is also only about colours. Wouldn't it be better to
send people to the Bash Prompt HOWTO, which is up-to-date, rather than a
document that only has information about colour and is out of date, and
not maintained?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin