discuss: HOWTO about small&silent servers

Subject: HOWTO about small&silent servers
From: Christian Schnobrich ####@####.####
Date: 5 May 2004 13:57:55 -0000

Hello,

recently I exchanged a few mails with someone who used an Athlon 1800
for his Internet gateway and wondered how to make it less noisy... in
the process, I spilled out lots of text and wonder if I should turn it
into a HOWTO.

I guess the starting point for most people is to share an Internet
connection for several boxes. Whether they start with fli4l or skip it
right away: once there is a box running 24/7, there's a certain
temptation to add more services.
The document will cover three main aspects:
a) how much CPU power / RAM / disk space will be necessary to run a
certain service (in other words: will my old box suffice)
b) an overview of old hardware and possible issues
c) how to make it more silent, mostly centered on keeping the harddisk
powered down and a few other tricks of the trade

Well, now... does anyone think there is demand for such a HOWTO?

cu,
Schnobs