discuss: Using Webbug to track hits

Subject: Re: Using Webbug to track hits
From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 22 Apr 2004 17:17:13 -0000

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:04:47AM -0700, Saqib Ali wrote:
> > Could you post the source code of your implementation, together with
> > your analysis of any security/privacy risks?
>
> hmmm, there is not much of code. the only PHP code I will use for is to
> display statistics for each HOWTO that includes the webbug.

The use of web bugs is a controversial topic, TLDP will need to defend
the use of web bugs to the community.  Therefore, code should be presented
so that we can review it.

What valid information can be gained from the hit count?  The number of hits
can be manipulated with robots.  The hit count says nothing about the value
or quality of a document.  The hit count doesn't even say that the document
was in any way useful to the reader.  It may help motivate an author, is
there any evidence available that it will?

> security/privacy risks:
> As I stated in my previous email, there are not much privacy issues, with
> using webbug. Privacy issues with webbug are same as privacy issues with
> looking at apache server logs. I personally think the name webbug did more
> damage to the technique than good. People have used this technique
> long before the name was invented. The name just gave a negative
> connotation to good clean technique.

If it is good, why is the image hidden?

--
Doug Jensen