discuss: new HOWTO proposal

Subject: Re: New HOWTO proposal
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 22 Apr 2004 16:26:45 -0000

At 11:51 4/18/2004, Howard Shane wrote:
>The biggest void this document would hopefully address would be the
>home/home-office proprietary-OS desktop user interested in switching
>and curious if linux can do all the "useful" things they currently do,
>or alternatively the person who has already made the jump at home and
>wants to know they can more than just play Tuxracer.

I really like the idea, and it can probably be *very* useful. I think you
should go ahead and write it.

When you are mentioning applications, file types, and capabilities, don't
forget Sun StarOffice. It's not free (gratis) or Free (open-source) but it
is an excellent commercial package which replaces Microsoft Office quite
well and costs only $80.

It is an alternative your readers should know about, since some of them
will prefer it (just like some will prefer OpenOffice, or KOffice, or
Abiword...). I've also used a switch from MS Office to StarOffice on
Windows as a first step to then moving people to Linux, so it has an
advocacy role as well! :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz