discuss: LDAP authentication info

Subject: Re: LDAP authentication info
From: "K. Richard Pixley" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2004 00:39:44 -0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
 > I would also appreciate a HOWTO for using and authenticating with LDAP
 > for a small network. And note that many times the one and only server is
 > a Linux box, so LDAP could be used in a Linux-only scenario for
 > small/medium businesses and SOHO environments... many people don't have
 > or want a PDC or any kind of Windows-based authentication.

That's pretty much the primary point I'd like to make.  It's also useful
for a workgroup within a larger company, if your wintel boxes are
already commited to some other corporate domain or domain replacement
structure, say, like novel.

In order to do so, I think I need to cover or at least point to the
security issues involved in clear passwords over the net,
encrypted/hashed passwords over the net, challenge/response, and
end-to-end encryption like ssl/tls.  I should probably also discuss pros
& cons for a linux-authenticates-against-PDC approach.

If it were easy enough, LDAP w/tls should also be a clear winner over
NIS since end-to-end encryption and access control should beat
passwords-in-the-clear any day.

--rich