discuss: Using Webbug to track hits

Subject: Using Webbug to track hits
From: Saqib Ali ####@####.####
Date: 19 Apr 2004 19:09:38 -0000

I think I have mentioned this before. Tracking hits on a distributed
system like LDP is quite easy. All we need to do is web bug all the the
documents. I use this technique for a couple of other projects

Web bug is a technique where you insert a 1x1 pixel image in a document.
Read more here: http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Marketing/web_bug.html

The bug is located on single source, and a absolute path is used to
reference the image. for example, we will need to include the following in
a HOWTO:

<a img src="http://www.xml-dev.com/images/pixel-HOWTO-NAME.gif">

So whevever this page is accessed by anyone, the above mentioned image
will be retreived, we just need to count the number of hits on the image.

Easy technique, no mondification/tasks required for individual
mirror sites.

If anyone is interested I can help set this up for LD as well.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net <---- (X)HTML / DocBook XML Validator and Transformer