discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 13 Apr 2004 18:25:15 -0000

Hi

> <grin> No offense, Rahul, but that particular answer
> boils down to "this is
> the right way and anyone who is one of Us will do it
> this way."

Not really. Its important even if you decide to ignore
it later on.Let me explain why. Free software and the
reasoning behind it is a idealogy of freedom according
to RMS and friends.

There is also a practical advantages and
implementation issues.

Who decides what to do?
How do you manage code and stuff like that.

The debian guidelines is a clear set of rules on the
commitments to users. A social contract on what they
are trying to achieve.

I think its a good model to consider even if you
decide to do things in a different way

> <evil grin> Then why is Debian "stable" so damned
> old? <ducks for cover>

The nature of the distribution. Managing 140000+
packages across multiple architectures into a single
coherent distro is pretty hard thing to do. I think
they should make choices on what they provide by
default as part of the release and provide others as
alternatives. Userlinux seems to working towards that
goal. In the words of Bruce perens "playing favorites"
is what debian needs to improve release speed

regards
Rahul