discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 11 Apr 2004 16:55:07 -0000

Hi

Let me see if I can explain everything together

> I have yet to see you provide any defense whatsoever
> for your proposal of
> wholesale renewal. If you do not wish to argue
> further, that is your
> prerogative of course. I just thought you should
> know that not only have
> you not convinced me, you have not even succeeded in
> *communicating* your
> reasoning to me. Perhaps others have understood you
> better, but I still don't.

For Future documents

I dont think the current licensing requirements are
good enough.

1) We should not allow GNU FDL documents with
invariant sections. It seems that the creative commons
share alike attribution license would fit the debian
guidelines more appropriately.

2) We should give people a single or multiple licenses
as suggested ones. If multiple licenses are given, the
major differences should be explained clearly.

3) We shouldnt allow arbitrary licenses

4) My personal opinion on this is that all documents
should have the following qualities
  * Allow modifications - such kind of documents are
more easily maintainable where the author doesnt
update
  * Require attribution
  * Allow commerical redistribution

For existing documents

1) The non modifiable documents should be listed as
such and efforts should be taken to make it more
liberal. I would go through each of the these
documents and give suggestions to the authors to
improve the situation if there is any kind of
agreement on this.

> Just to be crystal-clear, in case you get to feeling
> attacked: I believe
> you have the best of intentions and that you
> genuinely want "the best" for
> LDP and its community. I think rather highly of you
> in general, based on
> what I've seen on this list.

No. I dont consider your arguments against mine to be
personal attacks. Dont worry about that.

regards
Rahul