discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2004 20:35:40 -0000

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:31:32PM +0100, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> OK. Thanks. This clearly protects us from having
> future problems.  shouldnt it be retroactive?.

Absolutely not! At least not without the permission of every author whose
document is going to be affected. Sooner or later (but probably later
rather than sooner) old documents/out of date/unmaintained documents will
be removed from the collection for a variety of reasons. However, the LDP
will *never* change a license or remove a document because of its license
without written permission from the author (in the case of changing the
license).

A document might be removed if it is: out of date, contains factual errors
AND the author cannot be contacted. A document might also be removed if it
contains factual errors and the author is unable to fix the errors in a
timely manner. A document might also be removed if it is somehow a
copyright violation against another document.

> I also
> suggest that the manifesto be modified to make it a
> mandatory requirement that all documents should allow
> modifications and we not allow gnu fdl with invariant
> sections. it would also be convenient to allow
> commercial redistribution

The LDP is not about convenience for commercial distribution. The LDP is
not a lot of things actually...but I do think it is a collection of
documents specific to problems encountered while trying to operate the
Linux kernel (and programs that run on this kernel). These documents are
distributed in a standardized format to make it easier for others
--including scripts-- to "consume" the documentation. Perhaps more than
just being a collection of documents though, the LDP is a community of
volunteers who try to support a community of users. Saying that a document
should be /removed/ from the collection because it does not meet a
specific license criteria is ridiculous!!! There are many valid reasons to
remove a document from a collection, but this is not one of them. :(

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]