discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2004 19:28:02 -0000

Hi

> exclusively Free software or not. I believe that
> Open Source tools to
> replace many closed and proprietary tools, but that
> we should not starve
> while we grow our new crops. I believe that we
> should not intentionally
> restrict the use and availability of either tools or
> documentation because
> it happens to disagree with out beliefs.

1) dont confuse rree software and free documentation

> In short, I believe in an "inclusive" Linux
> Documentation Project. You
> appear to disagree, being more than willing to chuck
> out a document based
> on its license (not on whether its useful today or
> not, or whether it's
> maintained or not), or based on whether the tool or
> program being
> documented is Free or not. It is my perception that
> your personal beliefs
> in this matter RESTRICT the freedoms of the LDP and
> of its users, thence of
> most/all Linux users who use the LDP as a source of
> knowledge. It is
> because I believe that (a) you are a good man with
> good intentions and (b)
> that your restrictive beliefs are damaging to my
> view of the LDP's mission
> and purpose, that I take such issue with them.

2) Sometimes restricting freedoms is important to
preserve freedom in the long term. GPL is an example
of this kind of license. There is a very clear
problem. We are now having arbitrary licensed
documents inside LDP. what do you do if they are not
modifiable and not maintained?. what if they are not
legal at all?

> >I dont want to consult a lawyer just because
> >i want to distribute documents from LDP
>
> What you *want* (and what I want) is entirely
> irrelevant. What will best
> fulfill the mission and purpose of the Linux
> Documentation Project is all
> that matters.

Yes. Thats what I am talking about. I just stating one
of the possible problems that anyone shouldnt have to
face.

regards
Rahul Sundaram