discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 7 Apr 2004 02:04:30 -0000

At 16:48 4/6/2004, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>You are making this as some fight over individual
>preferences and choices while it is not.

I disagree... it is. What you, and I, and likely several dozen other
people, collectively believe as a group named the LDP is an aggregation of
our individual beliefs. I believe that the LDP should host, and help
markup, and help distribute, any Documentation which is related to Linux,
which helps its users have greater success with and enjoyment of the
operating system, and which in any way improves the quality of their
computing experience while using Linux... REGARDLESS of whether they use
exclusively Free software or not. I believe that Open Source tools to
replace many closed and proprietary tools, but that we should not starve
while we grow our new crops. I believe that we should not intentionally
restrict the use and availability of either tools or documentation because
it happens to disagree with out beliefs.

In short, I believe in an "inclusive" Linux Documentation Project. You
appear to disagree, being more than willing to chuck out a document based
on its license (not on whether its useful today or not, or whether it's
maintained or not), or based on whether the tool or program being
documented is Free or not. It is my perception that your personal beliefs
in this matter RESTRICT the freedoms of the LDP and of its users, thence of
most/all Linux users who use the LDP as a source of knowledge. It is
because I believe that (a) you are a good man with good intentions and (b)
that your restrictive beliefs are damaging to my view of the LDP's mission
and purpose, that I take such issue with them.

>I dont want to consult a lawyer just because
>i want to distribute documents from LDP

What you *want* (and what I want) is entirely irrelevant. What will best
fulfill the mission and purpose of the Linux Documentation Project is all
that matters.

>Its not at all about my beliefs and choices.

<joke> Perfect! Since it's not about your beliefs and choices, then just be
quiet and we'll do it my way. </joke>

Au contraire... it is *entirely* about our individual beliefs and choices,
since out of these grow the collective beliefs and choices of the LDP.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz