discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2004 23:45:23 -0000

Quoting Rahul Sundaram ####@####.####

[invariant sections:]

> Yes. That's optional, and I hope that majority of
> existing documentation don't include it.

It's something to watch carefully for, at a minimum:  A certain number
of authors will include such things for no better reason than having
seen it in GNU documentation.

> I think TLDP doesnt have any explicitly stated
> criteria for licenses that are acceptable. The
> problems stated with FDL though important are not as
> much a potential problem compared to the existing
> situtation

The current situation's a bit fluid in part because opinions among LDP
staff on the matter are, actually, fairly diverse.  (I read a sampling
of archived posts on the topic, going way back, before posting here.)
In particular, issuing "Deriv" (forkable) licence rights to one's
personal brainchild is a difficult step, and in some cases I've balked
at doing that, myself.  (I don't speak for LDP.)

There has been quite a tangle of arguments and counterarguments on the
subject.  I'm sure that has quite a lot to do with why there's not yet
an LDP policy.  Most people find the subject (of licensing) a tiresome
morass, and who can blame 'em?  ;->

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!