discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rick Moen ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2004 22:17:07 -0000

Quoting Rodolfo J. Paiz ####@####.####

> Not being too well-educated on the topic, can I just ask you to flat-out
> recommend one, so I can read one and see if I like it instead of having to
> read six (which isn't likely to happen)?
>
> I'd appreciate it if that were possible.

For many purposes, I personally like CC's "Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0" licence.
The name uses CC's admirably modular and clear licensing terminology:

Attribution:  Requires crediting authors of the codebase in derivative
              works.  (By implication, this licence has the Derivs
              property, i.e., is a forkable licence.)  Copyright law
              lets one either insist on attribution, or to waive it.
ShareAlike:   Derivative works must have the same terms.  I.e., it's
              a copyleft licence.

The plain-English form of the Attribution-ShareAlike licence is at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/ , which also hyperlinks
to the lawyerly "Legal Code" (full licence) rendition on a separate
page.

If you have time, look briefly over the matrix of CC licences at
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/ , even if you don't read any of the
linked licence texts:  That page is useful as a map to what permutations
of permission grants are possible.