discuss: Documentation licensing

Subject: Re: Documentation Licensing
From: Rahul ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2004 21:35:35 -0000

 --- Rick Moen ####@####.#### wrote: >
Obligatory disclaimer:  Intelligent people of
> goodwill frequently differ
> over documentation licensing.  ;->
>
> Just for the sake of clarity (pro bono publico), and
> not to be critical:

You are differing in what qualifies as a good free
documentation  license for me the primary criteria is
that modifications should be redistributable without
prior permission

Let me state what I consider good requirements

1) Should be modifiable and redistributable under the
same license
2) should demand attribution
3) should allow commercial redistribution

GNU FDL does match these requirements but it looks
like it doesnt match debian's guidelines. I am not
sure what debian thinks of the this license but I find
this license to be appropriate

I think we can allow GNU FDL documents but recommend
the creative commons license for new documents and NOT
allow variations or any other license

I do not like documents which have different licenses
with no common set of requirements to be grouped
together in an arbitrary manner. This has practical
difficulties like I mentioned in my previous email

regards
Rahul

Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html