discuss: User Authentication Howto - license issue?

Subject: Re: User Authentication Howto - license issue?
From: Floris Lambrechts ####@####.####
Date: 6 Apr 2004 09:30:24 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 12:40:14AM +0200, Floris Lambrechts wrote:
>
>>A better argument would be that the tldp wants te be an organisation
>>that does not approve violating licenses...

> The LDP does not approve of violating licenses. Full stop. A document's
> author is the document's author and the license attached is to be adhered
> to at all times. There's really no point having a license on a document if
> it's not going to be followed. This is why new documents must have a
> "free" license so that others can update the content if the author ever
> goes missing.

I agree completely.

> That said and done--the documents need to be kept up-to-date and if an
> author is not willing/able to maintain their document then it should be at
> least put into the "unmaintained" pile. I think shifting the document (and
> removing the changes) will be enough to get the author's attention.
> Ideally the author will change the license to a freer license and the
> document can be moved back into the collection, perhaps with Floris as the
> new maintainer of the document. If the author does not want to update the
> content or the license the document should be removed from the collection.
> Who is responsible for the unmaintained page? Would you be able to help
> Floris with this?

For now I have 'legal rights' to update the document, so there is only a
problem in the future, when I can no longer do this.
However, I also think that all howto's should have a license that allows
updating the document without explicit prior permission - so it could be
a good idea to move all non-FDL and non-TLDP licensed documents to
'unmaintained'.  Does anyone know how many HOWTO's have such a
restrictive license?

> Floris: I think your enthusiasm to update the documents is wonderful! Can
> we have you as an editor?

Hmm... I already am an editor at http://www.linuxfocus.org, which is
part of tldp :-)  But if tldp can use my assistance, I'm certainly
interested.
What exactly are the responsibilities of an editor?

regards
floris