discuss: User Authentication Howto - license issue?

Subject: Re: User Authentication Howto - license issue?
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2004 22:45:58 -0000

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 12:40:14AM +0200, Floris Lambrechts wrote:
> A better argument would be that the tldp wants te be an organisation
> that does not approve violating licenses...

The LDP does not approve of violating licenses. Full stop. A document's
author is the document's author and the license attached is to be adhered
to at all times. There's really no point having a license on a document if
it's not going to be followed. This is why new documents must have a
"free" license so that others can update the content if the author ever
goes missing.

That said and done--the documents need to be kept up-to-date and if an
author is not willing/able to maintain their document then it should be at
least put into the "unmaintained" pile. I think shifting the document (and
removing the changes) will be enough to get the author's attention.
Ideally the author will change the license to a freer license and the
document can be moved back into the collection, perhaps with Floris as the
new maintainer of the document. If the author does not want to update the
content or the license the document should be removed from the collection.
Who is responsible for the unmaintained page? Would you be able to help
Floris with this?

Floris: I think your enthusiasm to update the documents is wonderful! Can
we have you as an editor? If you manage to get an email back from the
author allowing you to change the license of the document, could you
forward it to the list?

thanks,
emma

--