discuss: LyX to DocBook

Subject: Re: LyX to DocBook
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Apr 2004 18:14:24 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.#### schrieb am 04.04.04 02:37:07:

> I will look into adding this information to "Converting Documents to
> DocBook XML."
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/x2docbook.html
>
> The section will have to be re-written and will incorporate the
> following information:
> 	- DocBook: SGML to XML
> 	- HTML to DocBook
> 	- LyX to DocBook

Very good idea.

> This will take no less than two weeks for me to finish.

To Guru: this is a *lower* bound, not an *upper* bound on the time this will take.  ;)

Anyway, it is O.K. with me - I am not in a hurry.

> In the mean time
> please submit a brief paragraph for each of the two links to serve as
> abstracts in the References section.

I will do this for the "LyX to DocBook" part. May it be more than just a paragraph? A (sub)section perhaps?

> I personally have absolutely no problems writing text in HTML and in
> DocBook; however, I'm young enough that HTML was the first markup language
> that I learned. I've never used LyX or LaTeX because I've never been able
> to get the tools to work. I found the GUIs available clumsy and after
> multiple hours of trying, I gave up.

Bingo! "never been able to get the tools to work"  and "after multiple hours of trying" are certainly  experiences shared by many others. The point is that my scripts make that path an easier to go. For example, you could have tried to use LyX, then use its "export to SGML" function - only to find out that a myriad things don't work. Try to get images to work in the exported SGML, for example - no chance.  Now, this has changed with

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

Today's distributions take the burden of a LaTeX installation off the shoulders of the average user. LyX offers a comfortable GUI to LaTeX. The user writes in LyX, exports in SGML and lets my scripts do the rest: correct the SGML, take care of images, display Mathematics, create an Index automatically (not only the Index itself, but also the right words and the markup!) or work with the RefDB bibliographic database.

> Please note though: I will not be adding it to the main section. Not even
> LinuxDoc gets into the main section. ;)

Who cares about the main section! ;-) In the Web, every page is an entry page.

I will send you my contribution to the "LyX to DocBook" section off the list,  in *no less* ;- ) than one week.

Chris

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de
... and the winner is... WEB.DE FreeMail! - Deutschlands beste E-Mail
ist zum 39. Mal Testsieger (PC Praxis 03/04) http://f.web.de/?mc=021191