discuss: LDP Author Guide criticisms

Subject: LDP Author Guide criticisms
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Apr 2004 08:43:18 -0000

No need to repeat my previous comments re the need for a much shorter
doc for those that want to get started fast.  I've thus far only
recently read 1/2 page of it and found the following possible errors.

The LDP Author Guide has:
> 2.1. Contributing to The LDP
>
> So you want to help out but you are not sure where to start? Here are a few
> suggestions to help get you on your way:
>
>   *   Find something you would like to write about, and start
> writing!
No.  Before writing anything, check to see if a doc on your topic
already exists.

>   *   Check the unmaintained HOWTOs and see if there is a subject
> that you know about and can continue documenting.
Provided the subject is not obsolete.

>   *   Join the discuss mailing list (more in Section 2.3), and post
> a message about yourself, including the subject that you would like to
> write about.
This implies that you don't even need to check to see if a doc on the
subject already exists.

>   *   Email a volunteer who is working on a subject comparable to
> the one you would like to write about. Visit the Volunteer and
> Contacts page on the LDP web site for a list of volunteers.

No.  The volunteers section doesn't list any people that handle the
technical subjects.  For example it says that I deal with licensing
issues but doesn't list the HOWTOs I've written.  We just have no such
list of people showing the technical subjects they know about (except
that one could email authors of related howtos, etc.).

>   *   Email ####@####.#### and let them know you would like
> to help.
Well, I think it best for people to first try to determine how they
would like to help before they send us an email offering to help.

So I think the procedure should be to first find a topic that isn't
adequately covered and then to either volunteer to update an existing
doc or write a new doc.