discuss: changes to LDP-Author-Guide concerning license restrictions

Subject: Re: changes to LDP-Author-Guide concerning license restrictions
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Apr 2004 07:52:13 -0000

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:39:25PM +0200, Floris Lambrechts wrote:

> The LDP author guide (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/) refers
> to the Linux Documentation Project Manifesto
> (http://www.tldp.org/manifesto.html) concerning the license of the tldp
> documents.
>
> I suggest the following addition to the author guide, in section 3.3. :
> 'Unmaintained and Out-of-date Documents'
>
> ----
> * Inform the LDP which document you would like to own, so that we can

The word "own" is not a good one since due to the license you have
relinquished ownership rights.  Of course, if you are the only author
then you are the copyright owner but it's not really ownership since
anyone can make copies.  So I suggest that for an existing doc
"maintain" should substitute for "own".

> track who is working on what and prevent duplication of effort. We also
> suggest that you join the LDP general discussion list
> ####@####.#### This step is also required for new documents.
>
> (NEW text starts here)
> * Make sure that you are entitled to change the document, i.e. that you
> are not violating the license.  Although almost all tldp documents are
> licensed so that anyone can update them, some documents' license is more
> strict.  If you run into troubles or have any questions, contact
> (NEW text ends here)
>
> * Submit the document to the LDP with any intended modifications. Make
> sure to continue to reference the original author somewhere within the
> document (Credits, Revision History, etc.).

It's more than just somewhere since the copyright notice must list the
original author as one of the copyright owners (unless of course the
former author says that you can have his/her copyright).