discuss: User Authentication Howto - license issue?

Subject: Re: User Authentication Howto - license issue?
From: Floris Lambrechts ####@####.####
Date: 3 Apr 2004 22:40:40 -0000

Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

>> However.
>> If I can't manage to contact the author, we (both I and tldp) are
>> violating his copyright.  I see 3 things we can do
>>
>> 1. leave it like it is
>> It's not very likely that the author is going to sue, and if he does,
>> there's not much he will get.

> How do you know he is not going to sue

He obviously doesn't care enough (at the moment) to respond to emails.
So I assume he's not wanting to spend time and dollars on a useless
legal case either. AND I'm 87.439 % certain that he would approve the
changes to his document if he knew about them.

 > and how do you come to the
> conclusion that he can not get much ? In legal cases it is not a good
> way to move ahead with assumptions. Facts are solid

Because he can either get, by suing, one or both of:
A. An order for the copyright violator to ceize publishing of the
offending material
B. An monetary reimbursement for damages done

Option A is 'not much' in my opinion, and in case B the judge will see
that the copyright holder did not suffer much damage (i.e. none) and the
amount to pay will be very, very low.

This is based on my understainding of local (Belgian) copyright law
however...

>> Copyright violations  happen all the time, and they are only a problem
>> if the copyright holder feels there's a problem.

> Just because someone else jumps off a bridge that does not mean IMHO
> that you should also jump off

In the CVS history you can learn that on Thu Mar 25 08:53:41 2004 UTC, I
myself *have already jumped off the bridge*.

Besides, by saying:
 >> I like none of the options :-(
I indicated that I don't like jumping off bridges either.

A better argument would be that the tldp wants te be an organisation
that does not approve violating licenses...

> Write a full howto with a better license or do not disappear when you
> prefer to have a strict license.

'Not disappearing in order to avoid side effects of strict licensing
requirements' in now on my to do list.

Writing the howto myself is not an option, I don't have enough knowledge
on the subject at the moment to do it well.

Sorry for polluting the list with my childish reaction :-)

regards
floris