discuss: User Authentication Howto - license issue?

Subject: Re: User Authentication Howto - license issue?
From: Togan Muftuoglu ####@####.####
Date: 3 Apr 2004 20:24:42 -0000

* Floris Lambrechts; ####@####.#### on 03 Apr, 2004 wrote:
>Machtelt Garrels wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Floris Lambrechts wrote:
>However.
>If I can't manage to contact the author, we (both I and tldp) are
>violating his copyright.  I see 3 things we can do
>
>1. leave it like it is
>It's not very likely that the author is going to sue, and if he does,
>there's not much he will get.

How do you know he is not going to sue and how do you come to the
conclusion that he can not get much ? In legal cases it is not a good
way to move ahead with assumptions. Facts are solid

>Copyright violations  happen all the time, and they are only a problem
>if the copyright holder feels there's a problem.

Just because someone else jumps off a bridge that does not mean IMHO
that you should also jump off

>2. roll-back to version 0.5 (CVS revision 1.1)
>Which does not contain my fixes but is not updated and *can not* be
>updated because the author disappeared.
>
>3. remove this howto from tldp
>(Because it can not be maintained)
>
>I like none of the options :-(
>Hopefully somebody sees another solution?

Write a full howto with a better license or do not disappear when you
prefer to have a strict license.

--

Togan Muftuoglu