discuss: LyX to DocBook

Subject: LyX to DocBook
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 3 Apr 2004 05:02:19 -0000

I will look into adding this information to "Converting Documents to
DocBook XML."
http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/x2docbook.html

The section will have to be re-written and will incorporate the
following information:
	- DocBook: SGML to XML
	- HTML to DocBook
	- LyX to DocBook

This will take no less than two weeks for me to finish. In the mean time
please submit a brief paragraph for each of the two links to serve as
abstracts in the References section.

I personally have absolutely no problems writing text in HTML and in
DocBook; however, I'm young enough that HTML was the first markup language
that I learned. I've never used LyX or LaTeX because I've never been able
to get the tools to work. I found the GUIs available clumsy and after
multiple hours of trying, I gave up. In the several months that I've been
a reviewer for the LDP I've never received a document in LyX format (or
even had an author mention it to me). Of all the people in my LUG who've
talked to me about submitting their documents, no one uses LyX. I have one
friend who uses LaTeX for his essays, but that's a close as I get. Seeing as
it's so important to yourself and Guru, I will see what I can do to add it
to the Author Guide.

Please note though: I will not be adding it to the main section. Not even
LinuxDoc gets into the main section. ;) The Author Guide, in its revised
form, is a process document, not a technical "this is how to write DocBook"
document. I worked very hard to strip the technical mumbojumbo out and no
one will convince me to add it back in to the *main section*. Even the
editing tools are in the appendix--we don't care *how* the text gets
written, we just care that it gets written (and submitted).

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]