discuss: css test documents

Subject: Re: css test documents
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Apr 2004 01:32:29 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.#### schrieb am 02.04.04 17:03:15:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 06:08:13PM +1000, Guru - wrote:
> > Well what I'm asking is that LyX be mentioned as an alernative for those
> > that read the document before they email the TLDP list.
> > There's a good chance they'll read it see that we don't support LyX and
> > then not even ask when they could have been saved many hours of effort, or
> > the hours of effort of one of our volunteers.
>
> If a new author reads the Author Guide they will see that:
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/process.html
> - the first thing they should do is email this list with their proposal
> - write the document in any format they wish
> - submit the document for review
>
> So I think the Author Guide already covers what you're asking it to talk
> about. I will also add the following URLs to the Reference section under
> "Markup."
> 	http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/book1.html

Emma,

thanks for the link.  Please use

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

(with the / and without "book1.html"), so that the left navigation menu appears too.

However, I think just a link for a whole *framework* is not enough to put things in the right light. Guru has asked that those scripts be presented as an alternative and your answer is that the authors are told they may use "any format they wish", implying this is "enough done"  from TLDP's side.

I disagree, it is not enough. When I started my "DocBook carreer", I went to:

http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/tools-edit.html

only to find either pure SGML or XML *editors*, or *commercial* solutions, or *non-integrated* tools that solved only some part of the problem. I sat down and, in years of research, experimentation and learning created what is described in

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

Now, I think what Guru means (and what I would also consider a step in the right direction) is that this method be presented in

http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/tools-edit.html

Not just as a link, but with a description, perhaps a screenshot of LyX and a discussion of the method's (not only LyX') capabilities, just as this is done for Emacs, vi, epcEdit etc.

Till now I would accept this lack of coverage because LyX as delivered "out-of-the-box", is *not* suitable for *serious* DocBook work (like a HOWTO of some medium complexity). However, with my LyX-to-X scripts it becomes very powerful - a fantastic tool in an integrated DocBook SGML process!

But people have to learn that this possibility now exists. Of course, they can search the Internet and find it themsleves, then use it, if they like it - that's your answer above. But I believe we have to *tell* people that now another method exists, that it uses LyX, that it has such-and-such advantages, features, capabilities - whatever.

I hope it is clear now.

BTW, my PHP-Nuke HOWTO *was* accepted. ;-)  As Greg said in another post, as long as he gets valid SGML/XML documents, there is no problem. Now, look at the SGML code of that HOWTO:

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/EN-Book.sgml

Do you think an author planning to write something like that (a 500 pages book) would use one of those tools presented in http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/tools-edit.html to do it? Would he use Emacs or vi to enter all that SGML code by hand? Or epcEdit? Or nedit?

Please have a closer look at the SGML of

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/EN-Book.sgml

 - the complexity is such that will drive anyone crazy!

That's where LyX and my scripts come in. They hide all this complexity and make it possible to create such SGML documents even without knowing SGML!  And still, perfectly valid SGML! Thanks to LyX and LyX-to-X.

Today's authors have to be informed about this possibility. Not only with a link, but with  a presentation of the method that enables them to make an informed decision. After all, an Authors' Guide is all about informed decisions.

Chris

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de
Der WEB.DE Virenschutz schuetzt Ihr Postfach vor dem Wurm Beagle.A-J!
Kostenfrei fuer FreeMail Nutzer. http://f.web.de/?mc=021158