discuss: Apache Compile HOWTO and J2EE

Subject: Re: Apache Compile HOWTO and J2EE
From: Jon Fox ####@####.####
Date: 2 Apr 2004 09:33:51 -0000

Luc de Louw wrote:

> A few weeks (or months?) ago there was a posting on this list about a
> J2EE Howto which covers JBOSS, tomcat and other stuff.
>
> Unfortunately I lost track.
>
> In my Apache Compile HOWTO I have some outdated tomcat stuff, and I
> would like to drop that parts and instead linking to that HOWTO.
>
> On tldp.org I was unable to find something.... (maybe I'm blind)
>
> Could someone state me whats going on with that HOWTO? I want to update
> Apache Compile HOWTO but I do not want to maintain redundant data in it.
> Also the poster seems to have more knowledge in J2EE that a do.

Hello Luc,

I was gathering info and testing latest versions of various Free/OSS
J2EE products on various Linux distros, in preparation for a re-write of
the Enterprise Java HOWTO which is currently unmaintained:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Enterprise-Java-for-Linux-HOWTO.html

At the same time, Luigi Bitonti ####@####.#### is currently
working on a HOWTO about tomcat, mod_jk and mod_jk2 configuration, so we
discussed combining efforts into a single J2EE HOWTO.

However I won't now be proceeding with the J2EE HOWTO, because Sun has
just announced that they will not be opening up the Java language after all:
http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/25400-1.html
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/let-java-go.html
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/let-java-go-2.html

It's not right or productive for me to help Sun document their closed,
proprietary platform, even if there is excellent Free/OSS software
running on it.  So I'm currently going through the other unmaintained
(and unwritten) HOWTOs, looking for another way to make myself useful to
TLDP.

I'm also in the process of moving jobs at my company, transferring from
a Java-focused section to a Python-focused one: I'm not going to
voluntarily promote or support Java at my workplace, or with our many
partners.

You and Luigi might see the matter differently to me though.  Good luck
to you both, whichever way you choose to proceed.  If Sun ever change
their minds, I'll be happy to resume working on this, if you want any help.

Yours,
--
Jon Fox