discuss: css test documents

Subject: Re: css test documents
From: "Ferg / LDP" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Mar 2004 19:16:46 -0000

> At 11:29 3/30/2004, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
>>- - I can see that for a short HOWTO it is not a big deal, but I object to
>>single page HTML for documents that are larger than 5-10 pages.  For our
>>guides it will take ages to load.  I'd prefer a new page for each
>><section1> or <section> tag.
>
> This is almost a religious issue, in that I have heard impassioned pleas
> and arguments for both single- and multiple-page HTML. I think it is
> extremely important that we continue to have the ability to create both
> types of HTML docs from a single SGML or XML source doc, just the way we
> have that ability today.

..And we shall continue to do so. I should have clarified that the
only thing I did was take some *existing single-file HTML HOWTOs*,
created with the current tools, and apply the <link> tag which references
David Horton's CSS. That's all that was done.

There are obviously a few bugs that could be ironed out by processing
with tailored XSL (or DSSSL) and *then* applying the CSS. For instance,
on code examples, you can see the nice (lighter) box and border around
the example (CSS specification), and then a darker area inside the
box (which was created by the normal process).

Using these samples of our docs as a point of reference might may help
us to further the discussion. We can then make further refinements.

Ideally, I'd like to apply this to the current processing, once we get
to some level of consensus.

--
Greg Ferguson / LDP volunteer