discuss: document suggestion: apache+tomcat+mod_jk/mod_jk2 on linux

Subject: Re: document suggestion: apache+tomcat+mod_jk/mod_jk2 on linux
From: Jon Fox ####@####.####
Date: 29 Mar 2004 09:42:57 -0000

Stein Gjoen wrote:
> Jon Fox wrote:
>> Other work in progress:
>> - replace sections on non-free software (Websphere, Domino, JRun,
>> Caucho, etc) with links to vendor's own documentation.  Most of these
>> are "to be written" entries now anyway.
>> - replace sections on how to connect to non-free databases with links
>> to the vendors' own documentation, and expanding the coverage on
>> Postgres and MySQL
>
> I see it as an advantage if a HOWTO can be stand-alone and not
> rely on external links to be complete. This is particularly
> important in those places in the world where Internet connectivity
> cannot be taken for granted.
>
> I am not suggesting you write big sections on either of these
> items but I would like to see at least a short paragraph giving
> a quick overview.
>
> There is some disagreement regarding documenting non-free
> software so my view here is not the law in this matter.

Thanks Stein.
But fine points like this now fade to the background slightly, when
viewed in the light of Scott McNealy's announcement last Wednesday, that
Sun will not after all be opening up Java:
http://gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/25400-1.html

So the Java platform is now non-free, like Visual bloody Basic.
It seems a bit hypocritical of me now, to be documenting Free software
on a non-Free platform.  Sun are now proposing to keep it less open than
Microsoft C#, citing bogus arguments about "preventing a fork".

Unless anyone has seen evidence that McNealy was just grousing out loud
to get a better deal out of IBM, I should therefore cease all work on
the Enterprise Java HOWTO.  There are many other worthwhile LDP docs
that need maintenance, update, or writing from scratch, which don't
involve donating my time and energy for free to a global megacorp.

</end grumpy rant>
Comments and advice are most welcome.

--
Jon Fox