discuss: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2004 17:57:28 -0000

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:57:35AM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.#### schrieb am 26.03.04 19:26:13:
> > I don't understand why you're using hacks. There's nothing on the display
> > of your pages that justifies "sophisticated code." In terms of the font
> > sizing--I never understand why people want to change the text size of the
> > main content on a page (side bars, footers, etc, yes I do understand).
> > Changing the default font size for the main content on a page is a
> > designer habit that should die a fast death.
>
> Maybe you misunderstood the background of that hack. Read the full gory details of it in

I've read the full glory -- and I've been advising AGAINST the full glory
since it Tantek first introduced it with the Box Model Hack. The whole
point of using standards is to use the standards, not to use browser's
bugs to trick them into doing things they don't support.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying about resizing fonts. I don't
care *how* it's done. I care that it's being done at all! You're using the
hack to resize the main text of the site. I strongly disagree with this. I
believe that users should always be able to use their own font size. Yes,
this workaround allows users to override the font setting used on the
page...but why would you want to change it in the first place? Changing
the font size at all is a very designer centric approach.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]