discuss: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2004 08:58:02 -0000

Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.#### schrieb am 26.03.04 19:26:13:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 04:32:18PM +0100, Chris Karakas wrote:
> > http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/book1.html
>
> I personally don't like the colours. They remind me too much of the Star
> Suite/OpenOffice colours. But my favorite colour is orange, so what do I
> know? I also do not want the LDP site looking like the Newbie Doc site.

Indeed, I borrowed a lot of ideas from the Newbiedoc project. Maybe they borrowed from OpenOffice, or vice-versa, who knows. ;-)

One way out of this impasse would be to write a HTML form that lets you choose the colours for the various classes, presents you a "preview" and then generates the CSS with your choices.

I might do it one day...

Then we publish this on the LDP's site and let people vote.

We have to care about voting fraud...

...and we have to write an application that selects the "median" of all colours voted for. The resulting colour scheme would be perfectly democratic - but would it be beautiful? ;-)

> A bunch of your selectors will not work in some browsers (specifically the
> pattern matching stuff on the links -- I'm expecting to NOT work in IE5).

Sure. That's CSS2 selectors. But it is no problem. The QBullets will simply not appear in those browsers who don't support CSS2. No adverse effects.

> I don't understand why you're using hacks. There's nothing on the display
> of your pages that justifies "sophisticated code." In terms of the font
> sizing--I never understand why people want to change the text size of the
> main content on a page (side bars, footers, etc, yes I do understand).
> Changing the default font size for the main content on a page is a
> designer habit that should die a fast death.

Maybe you misunderstood the background of that hack. Read the full gory details of it in

http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_26_using_relative_font_sizes.html

especially the subsection there "How to do it: detailed explanation".

It's an accessibility approach, not a design one that I take regarding font size.

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de
... and the winner is... WEB.DE FreeMail! - Deutschlands beste E-Mail
ist zum 39. Mal Testsieger (PC Praxis 03/04) http://f.web.de/?mc=021191