discuss: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Mar 2004 08:40:18 -0000

Owen ####@####.#### schrieb am 26.03.04 21:38:09:

> I can only repeat what I posted earlier, and that is the Language menu bar (div class="translatelink")does not come out properly in Konqueror though it is OK in Mozilla Firebird.

Thanks for pointing this again, I will have to have a look at it.

However, it does not play any role in this discussion, because DocBook documents do not produce any class "translatelink". This is a class I use on my headers, which in turn are added to the HTML document afterwards.

Thus, if we were to use my CSS for the LDP documents, we could safely either leave intact or delete the formatting instructions of the "translatelink" class, as they would not be applied to any parts of the documents.

...unless we decide that it is nice to add such a header with links to automatic translators of the current page, in which case the "translatelink" class  *will* become relevant.

Such a move, however, involves changes in the scripts of the production chain and we will have to ask Greg if he is willing to do it.

In any case, the way this can be done is described in

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/explain-main-part.html

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/html-validation.html

You do this with the htmlsplit.awk script:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/htmlsplit.awk

It splits the documents in header, body and footer, then we are able to insert dynamically customized pieces, like the translation bar in the top and the bottom (there is one in the bottom too, from AltaVista, did you notice that one? ;-) ). These are the part1, part2 and part3 document pieces  as described in the above links:

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/part1

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/part2

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/part3

Feel free to use and comment on these procedures.

Chris

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de
Der WEB.DE Virenschutz schuetzt Ihr Postfach vor dem Wurm Netsky.A-P!
Kostenfrei fuer alle FreeMail Nutzer. http://f.web.de/?mc=021157