discuss: Updated CSS for HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Updated CSS for HOWTOs
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Mar 2004 15:32:45 -0000

Fully agreed. It was just a joke - smile a little, Tille. :-)

I read my documents (that all use my CSS, the one I proposed to be accepted from the LDP too) often with Internet Explorer and they look just as nice.

In the last posts of this thread Togan, myself and others were discussing the feasibility of adding CSS code for

- prompts
- user entered text
- variables (especially literals)
- etc.

We came to the conclusion that

- DocBook does offer the markup and
- the Openjade/DSSSL/XSL transformations "preserve" this structural information, in the sense that they create (through the stylesheets we use, mostly as provided by N.Walsh) CSS classes with the same name.

Thus, it's only a matter of sitting down and coming up with some nice formatting for those elements.

I will do that, it's on my TODO list. ;-)

Anyway, even without those formatting instructions, the CSS I propose looks very nice, has some quite sophisticated code to accomodate font size handling that is both browser independent and acceptable from the accessibility point of view and various other goodies, like QBullets. See it in action in (for example) the PHP-Nuke HOWTO:

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/book1.html

You can see the formatting of lists, admonitions and QBullets very well in the Formats section:

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/formats.html

Just look at it with various browsers. It looks nice even with Netscape 4.x, IE 5.x etc. The formatting of "programlisting", for example, looks different in Netscape 4.x and Mozilla 1.5 - but it looks nice in both! The QBullets will not show up in IE 5.x, or NS 4.x, because they need a CSS2 compliant browser, like Mozilla - but again, the document still looks nice without them!

There has been quite a few grey matter invested into this CSS, by me and others as well - exactly due to the browser issues we are discussing here.

So the CSS you are looking for is already there:

http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/ck-style.css

However, somebody has to use it in the LDP documents. There is nothing I can do if people don't use it. I have done my part, I have spent whole days and nights tweaking this CSS. I have spent at least as much time describing it  - and the design decisions behind it:

http://www.karakas-online.de/myLinuxTips/css-for-docbook.html

http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/explain-css.html

Dear LDP, it's your turn now. Decide!

Chris

To debate, we do immediately. To decide takes a little longer! :D

--
Regards

Chris Karakas
http://www.karakas-online.de

Machtelt Garrels ####@####.#### schrieb am 24.03.04 07:31:51:
> > ---
> > The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
> > ---
>
> You can reply all sorts of things to that, but that is not the point.  The
> point is that there are much more Windows users out there than Linux
> people are usually aware of, and I think we should not make life any
> harder on them than necessary.  These Windows people have to cope with all
> these BSODs, closed programs, and what more, they are frustrated enough as
> it is.  However much we despise them, we should try and help them, and not
> block them.  If we can offer them docs that also look nice on there
> machines, they will be much more inclined to take their chances with
> Linux.  And then we won't have to despise them any more ;-)
>
> The goal was world domination, fast, according to Linus.  It was not
> staying on our little island forever.
>
> Tille.
>
> - --
>
> My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.soti.org

> http://lists.tldp.org/

Der WEB.DE Virenschutz schuetzt Ihr Postfach vor dem Wurm Beagle.A-J!
Kostenfrei fuer FreeMail Nutzer. http://f.web.de/?mc=021158