discuss: Re: Debian and Windows Shared Printing mini-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Debian and Windows Shared Printing mini-HOWTO
From: Ian Ward ####@####.####
Date: 29 Feb 2004 18:07:07 -0000

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:22:19PM +0000, Stewart Jeacocke wrote:
> RE:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/index.html
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> I'd just like to suggest that you add the following note somewhere in
> your HOWTO. Since Windows 2000 windows has natively supported IPP so the
> additional Samba config is no longer required, you can connect directly
> to a CUPS server from windows.
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248344 for
> brief details of IPP support in MS OSs.

Hello Stewart,

I considered adding this when I wrote this howto, but since the howto is
on TLDP, I decided to describe the way to configure Linux to work the
Windows way.

If there are significant advantages to using IPP (I imagine there are)
I'd gladly accept patches to my howto with instructions for configuring
all flavours of Windows for IPP.  :-)

-Ian Ward