discuss: New version 2.0 of the PHP-Nuke HOWTO

Subject: Re: New version 2.0 of the PHP-Nuke HOWTO
From: "Chris Karakas" ####@####.####
Date: 28 Feb 2004 10:44:47 -0000

Michael H. Collins wrote:
> seems silly to me.  should the ldp have a howto for every LAMP project?
> what about postnuke, xaraya, phpmyadmin, etc.??

You say it yourself: LAMP - see the "L" there? ;-)

PHP-Nuke *does* have to do a lot with Linux, since the server where it runs is, from
what I see in my own PHP-Nuke Forum, a Linux server in two thirds of all cases (the
rest being home projects that often run under Windows for test purposes).

Then, there are other reasons:

- You win authors for the work of LDP. Example: would I ever register myself to this
list, if it were not for my PHP-Nuke HOWTO? I doubt. Now I am "in the boat". :-)

- You show the world what you (as the institution "LDP") can do. Example: you give
distributions like Red Hat to understand that it was an error to deprive their
customers of definitive guides, like the one LDP has to offer.

- You show the world what the methods we use (SGML, XML, DocBook, Linuxdoc) can
produce. Of course, you can do this with the already existing HOWTOs, you don't need
a PHP-Nuke HOWTO for this, right?

  Wrong! Do the comparison with any existing HOWTO and you will see that the
PHP-Nuke HOWTO defines a new level of structural complexity and  presentational
sophistication. The method is here for you to read:

  http://www.karakas-online.de/mySGML/

  and the PHP-Nuke HOWTO (v. 2.0) in all its glory is here:

  http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/

- I also understand the "L" in "LDP" as "from Linux enthusiasts for the world" and
not as strictly as "from Linux enthusiasts for the Linux world". It may have started
as the latter, but it's grown up now.

Chris

Regards

Chris Karakas