discuss: Article on Understanding the Proc File System

Subject: Re: Article on Understanding the Proc File System
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 27 Feb 2004 19:31:58 -0000

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:08:45PM +0530, U V S Ravi Kiran wrote:
> Hi,
> I have written an article on Understanding the Proc File System. I would
> like to submit to the LDP. The document explains the architecture of the
> proc file system, how the files are stored in memory etc.
> I'm new to this group. Can anybody help me with the process?
>
> Thanks,
> Ravi

In order to answer this with a form letter, I drafted one in LinuxDoc.
Suggestions for improving this draft?  Here it is:

<!doctype linuxdoc system>
<article>
<title> Publishing Your HOWTO with LDP
<author> David S. Lawyer <url ####@####.####
<date> Feb. 2004

<abstract>This is for people who have already written a HOWTO and want
to contribute it for publication on the Internet (not on paper) by the
Linux Documentation Project (LDP).

<sect>Copyright and License
license which allows anyone to copy and distribute it in any media
and/or format.  No fees may be required to be paid to the authors.  It
is not required that the licence permit modification by others, but
it is encouraged.

Some possible licenses that allow modification are:
<url url="http://tldp.org/manifesto.html#s6" name="The Boilerplate
License in the Manifesto"> or <url
url="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/" name="Creative
Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License">, or <url
url="http://www.faqs.org/docs/htmltut/oplicense.html" name="Open
Publication License"> (without options A or B).

<sect>Markup
to various other formats (such as plain text and HTML).  Two such
source formats approved by the LDP are: LinuxDoc (sgml) and DocBook
(sgml or xml).  The document you are now reading is written in
LinuxDoc.  LinuxDoc is the easiest to do but it may not look as
fancy when displayed or printed.

<sect1>LinuxDoc
url="http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Howtos-with-LinuxDoc.html"
name="Howtos-with-LinuxDoc">

<sect1>DocBook
url="http://www.linux.ucla.edu/LDP/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/index.html"
name="LDP Author Guide">.  This also contains detailed guidelines but
it isn't required reading.

<sect>Submitting your HOWTO to the LDP
you first send your HOWTO (or a link to it) to ####@####.#### and
ask others on this list to look it over.  Then after you've gotten
some feedback (or even if you get no feedback) submit it (in LinuxDoc
or DocBook format) to ####@####.####  It will then be reviewed.
If it's satifactory it will be published and put on hundreds of mirror
sites around the world.

<sect>Feedback from Your Readers
suggestions.  These should be helpful in maintaining your HOWTO.  But
you are under no obligation to provide free support for people with
problems, especially if the problem is beyond the scope of the HOWTO
or is poorly described.  You are also likely to get spam, which can be
mostly filtered out.  Scrambling your email address to avoid spam is
is an option, but it will make it more difficult for readers to email
you.
</article>