discuss: Proposal (and RFC): Mobile Phones

Subject: Proposal (and RFC): Mobile Phones
From: ####@####.####
Date: 23 Feb 2004 19:51:50 -0000

I have just spent the last 3 days or so googling my heart out for
information about using my new mobile phone with Linux.  The vast amount
of information out there, and the vast amount of disorganization of it has
inspired me to consider compiling my findings into some form of
documentation.
I will likely be giving a presentation at my local LUG on this subjet
matter in the next 2-3 months as well, so having something in documented
form would be advantageous at that point as well.
Before I begin the writing process, I would really like to get some
comments from people on this list, though.
My primary concern is that "Linux and mobilie phones" is a rather broad
topic, and I'm not sure if this information best fits in a single HOWTO,
multiple HOWTOs, or a Guide of some sort.
The scope of what I intend to compile will include these distinct subject
areas:

* How to connect to the Internet from a PC/laptop through a mobile phone.
 This is very simple, really, and is mostly covered in the PPP HOWTO and
probably some USB/USB Modem Howto somewhere (for USB phone models,
anyway).  This subject alone doesn't really warrant anything more than a
Mini-HOWTO at best.
* Composing WAP web pages for access from a mobile phone.  This will also
be a collection of information that is largely stored elsewhere (Apache
documentation, WAP markup language specs/RFC, etc).  But it would be nice
to have all of the relevant information in a single place.  This would
also include a discussion of the various ready-made WAP-capable scripts
available out there (for things like SlashDot reading, e-mail gateways,
telnet clients, etc, etc)
* Creating and installing custom ringtones, images, logos, and
games/applications.  This would build on the previous poitn of WAP web
pages, as such things are typically installed to the phone over the web.
This would include discussion of media converters to convert standard
media types (GIF, JPEG, MIDI, WAV, etc) to phone-usable formats, as well
as the actual transfer of the files to the phones for use, including
proper set up of mime types in Apache, etc.
* Data syncronization between a phone and PC.

* Compatibility/capabilities chart.  This is something that is really hard
to find in any single place anywhere.  To find what capabilities my
particular phone had took some hefty searching.  The manufacturer's web
site and user's manual were not specific at all on several things.  Having
an easy-to-find/use list of phones and their compatibilites with Linux
would be very useful, IMO.

So I think that's about it.  Obviously as I continue to research, I may
find other relevant topics to document, but this is my intended starting
place.
So now for some comments from others.  :)   What layout/format would be
best?  Single HOWTO, multiple HOWTOs, a Guide, or something else yet?

Thanks.

-- Jonathan