discuss: Glibc Mini-Howto

Subject: Re: Glibc Mini-Howto
From: ####@####.####
Date: 3 Feb 2004 08:17:23 -0000

Hi,
--- snip ---
> >>* You might suggest having a boot/rescue diskset handy as an
> >>alternative to compiling statically-linked bash, coreutils, etc.
> >>This could be a great time-saver.
> >

> > Indeed a good idea, and I have an even better one: There are several
> > Try-Out-Versions of Linux, which come on a single CD and have
> > everything you need bundled with it, e.g. Knoppix
> > (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) all you need to do is
> > download the image and burn it on CD could not be simpler ....
> >
> That works too.  Maybe you could give the three alternatives, static
> linking, boot diskette or single CD distro, and let readers choose
> which works best for them.  Somebody with a 56k dialup connection may
> be unable to download a rescue CD, but might not mind fetching a
> diskette image or source code to build statically-linked binaries.

I was thinking about writing about the three options when I ran into
problems with the boot-disk and the CD.

Problems with the bootdisk:
You can't get all the tools you need on a boot-disk, so it is
necessary to use the tools you already installed on a harddisk, so
these ones also need to be static, you almost win nothing. And
probably you have to handle the problems with the --prefix. I think
this causes more hassle than working in place with static tools.

Problems with the Boot-CD:
Again you have to get along with the problem of the installation-
prefix, and you will have to struggle, how to setup your ldconfig.

As for theses reasons I am not going to mention the methods.

> >>* There are also some configure options you might mention that can
> >>be used to force glibc to install in a directory other than
> >>/usr/local/lib.
> >>  For example './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make
> >>install_root=/var/tmp install' will build glibc for use in /lib and
> >>/usr/lib, but do the actuall installing into /var/tmp/lib and
> >>/var/tmp/usr/lib.
> >

> > I think it is okay to mention it, but I for myselft don't like to
> > support those proprietery structures in the file System like e.g.
> > with the SuSe-Distribution; I had a lot of hassle with it, and I
> > still have because everytime you install something in the normal
> > way, you can be certain you will get collisions with the old
> > versions e.g. I installed the new gcc and made a  test with gcc -v
> > still giving me the old version, because of the path environent in
> > which /usr/bin was listed in front of /usr/local/bin But I will take
> > it into account.
>

> I can understand your frustration with non-standard setups in
> different distros.  The reason I brought up installing into other
> directories was because it may be useful to someone installing a new
> system from source (like LFS) rather than upgrading glibc on an
> existing distro.  But, if your document is strictly concerned with
> upgrading then don't worry about including it.
>

> Dave

C.U. MC Murphy
PGP-fingerprint: 8640 43BF 0807 8349 67F4  C0CE CBA9 83BA 197B 3ED4