discuss: qmail-scanner and ClamAV

Subject: RE: qmail-scanner and ClamAV
From: "Steve Peace" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Feb 2004 19:57:38 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 2:42 PM
To: Steve Peace

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:21:18PM -0500, Steve Peace wrote:
> Unfortunately I do not have a web server available to post it to.  I
am
> currently working on setting one up at home, but it is still busted.
> have attached a copy of the draft to this message in plain text.  Let
me
> know what you think.

Yup, it came through just fine. I've added just a couple of notes below,
hopefully others will have more suggestions!

> Qmail-Scanner & ClamAV HowTo
> 1.) Introduction:
> * 1.1 What this document is
> * 1.2 What this document is not
> * 1.3 Acknowledgments
> * 1.4 Copyright

I'd add another section that talks about what ClamAV is... You seem to
jump right into the guts of things, but I think it would help to have an
overview of what Qmail, Qmail-Scanner and ClamAV do...

> 4.1 Installing Qmail-Scanner
> Download and unpack the latest version of Maildrop.  Do not worry you
will not be using Maildrop.  You only need reformmime, which is included
in Maildrop.  Please read the instructions included in the tar ball on
how to install it.

What is Maildrop? Where can people get it from? Are there Debian, RedHat
(etc) packages? What are the names of the packages?

> These are the scripts contained in this how to.  I did not write them.
They were created by Jesse D. Guardiani, and can be found in his
clamd+daemontools HOWTO.

What license are they released under? Do you have permission to
distribute
them as part of your own document?

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]

>> 4.1 Installing Qmail-Scanner
>> Download and unpack the latest version of Maildrop.  Do not worry you
will not be using Maildrop.  You only need reformmime, which is included
in Maildrop.  Please read the instructions included in the tar ball on
how to install it.

>>What is Maildrop? Where can people get it from? Are there Debian,
RedHat
>>(etc) packages? What are the names of the packages?

Appendix C lists all of the locations on where you can get Maildrop and
all of the other software.  As for rpm, deb, etc packages, I do not know
if they are available.  I tried to stay away from the who binary thing,
because then it can get quite messy with dependencies.  Also by not
including binary information, it makes the how to a little more system
independent.  As for what Maildrop is, I brief description of what is
can be included.

>> What license are they released under? Do you have permission to
distribute them as part of your own document?

Unfortunately, I do not know.  I found his howto via a google groups
search.  I'm going to try and email him to see if I can get his
permission and or license information.  The other points are well taken,
and I will try to include that information.  I'll let you know if I can
get a hold of him.

Steve