discuss: ISBN numbers: second update

Subject: ISBN numbers: second update
From: Machtelt Garrels ####@####.####
Date: 2 Feb 2004 14:51:24 -0000

Dear All,

As promised, I am keeping you informed about the procedure for applying
for a number.

Two weeks ago, Monday January 19th, I provided the following data to our
local ISBN agency:

- - contact info for the person who applies for the number
- - first time or change of existing work that already has a number
- - author name
- - title and subtitle
- - multi-part work or not
- - sort of electronic publication (you can also apply for a number for a
CD-ROM (audio or data), for software, for video etc)
- - is it a new publication or a re-publication
- - names of illustrators, fotographers, editors, reviewers, translators
(here is where I put in your name as an editor/reviewer)
- - is it a series or a standalone publication
- - number of pages and format of printed material
- - does it contain an index, bibliography and/or readinglist
- - price
- - first publication date
- - has it been published before, and if yes, where and under which title
- - is it a thesis
- - are there any separated appendices
- - NUR number (indicates the sort of publication and the subject, I was
sent a list to chose from)
- - date of application

It took me 20 minutes to fill out these forms because it was the first
time, but it will be faster for the next number I apply for because now I
know what to do.  Next time I'll also use the on-line form instead of the
printed one.  The administration is nothing to be afraid of really, it is
very clear and comes with a manual.  Most info can be found in the
<bookinfo> section that you use in an DocBook XML document.

Today I got my publisher's number and ISBN number by snail mail.
Now I have to send a copy of the book and this number to the Royal
Library, which is our legal depot.

I can already use the ISBN number from today onwards.  I did not receive a
bill yet.

I hope this will add to TLDP credentials.  It's my opinion that it gives
us a more serious look.  People who have their publications registered are
generally not viewed as the "bunch of wacko loonies" that the Linux
community is so often described as.  It also proves that we think our work
is important.  It's the same with respect: if you don't respect yourself,
how can you expect that anybody else does?

Tille.

- --

My Penguin, my freedom.		http://tille.soti.org