discuss: Glibc Mini Howto

Subject: Re: Glibc Mini Howto
From: Tobias Reif ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2004 20:50:44 -0000

Hi

On Sun 2004-02-01 ####@####.#### wrote:
> there is a new version of my Glibc-Install.This time in docbook-
> format (quite a lot of work to convert it).
>
> As I was not able to install the docbook-utils by now (to much
> dependencies I still need to check and install) there might be some
> syntactic errors in it.
>
> If anyone finds a bug, please let me know.
>
> URL to the new version: www.murphyslantech.de/linux/glibc-
> howto/glibcinstall.docbook.

There are many errors, the document is not valid DocBook. Most
importantly, XML is case sensitive: your "Book" element is not a
DocBook element but "book" would be.

I recommend using a validator, for example xmllint [1] or RXP [2].

For now you could use the online interface to RXP
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/xml-check.html
eg
http://tinyurl.com/2r3zz
or
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/xml-check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.murphyslantech.de%2Flinux%2Fglibc-howto%2Fglibcinstall.docbook&validate=on

But since the above service might cache your document and since it
can't be really fast over the web I really recommend using a local
validator.

Here's one way to install xmllint:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#xmllint
RXP:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#rxp

Since you probably don't want your validator to fetch the DTD each
time, and since it's tedious to change the URL in the doctype
declaration to a local path each time, you could setup catalgs:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#catalogs

HTH,
Tobi

[1]