discuss: Glibc Mini-Howto

Subject: Re: Glibc Mini-Howto
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2004 18:17:48 -0000

####@####.#### wrote:

>>Nice document.  I could have used something like this when I first
>>tried compiling glibc from source.  As you said, there are many stones
>>to trip over along the way.  I especially like the section on
>>troubleshooting and backing out if things go wrong.  Very valuable
>>information!
>

> Thanks!
>

>>Here are a few suggestions:
>>
>>* You'll need a licence for the document like the GNU Free
>>Documentation License or something similarly open.
>

> Is there an URL for a ready-made part which I just need to insert?

If you want to use a GNU license then the site:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ has the info you need.  There are also
licenses at: http://creativecommons.org/license/ which may also be
acceptable to TLDP.

>>* You might want to ask around about LaTeX to DocBook conversion as
>>TLDP requires DocBook or LinuxDoc for markup languages.  Somebody on
>>this list or the ####@####.#### list might know a good conversion
>>tool.
>

> At the moment I am learning to write docBook, on the first glance it
> is quite easy to learn.

Excellent!

>>* You might want to mention the INSTALL file in the glibc source that
>>gives details on the required versions of make, gcc and so on that are
>>needed to build.  This could help people decide how much hassle it's
>>going to be to upgrade.
>

> Ack. I put it on my todo-list
>

>>* You might suggest having a boot/rescue diskset handy as an
>>alternative to compiling statically-linked bash, coreutils, etc.  This
>>could be a great time-saver.
>

> Indeed a good idea, and I have an even better one: There are several
> Try-Out-Versions of Linux, which come on a single CD and have
> everything you need bundled with it, e.g. Knoppix
> (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) all you need to do is
> download the image and burn it on CD could not be simpler ....

That works too.  Maybe you could give the three alternatives, static
linking, boot diskette or single CD distro, and let readers choose which
works best for them.  Somebody with a 56k dialup connection may be
unable to download a rescue CD, but might not mind fetching a diskette
image or source code to build statically-linked binaries.

>>* There are also some configure options you might mention that can be
>>used to force glibc to install in a directory other than
>>/usr/local/lib.
>>  For example './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make
>>install_root=/var/tmp install' will build glibc for use in /lib and
>>/usr/lib, but do the actuall installing into /var/tmp/lib and
>>/var/tmp/usr/lib.
>

> I think it is okay to mention it, but I for myselft don't like to
> support those proprietery structures in the file System like e.g.
> with the SuSe-Distribution; I had a lot of hassle with it, and I
> still have because everytime you install something in the normal way,
> you can be certain you will get collisions with the old versions e.g.
> I installed the new gcc and made a  test with gcc -v still giving me
> the old version, because of the path environent in which /usr/bin was
> listed in front of /usr/local/bin
> But I will take it into account.

I can understand your frustration with non-standard setups in different
distros.  The reason I brought up installing into other directories was
because it may be useful to someone installing a new system from source
(like LFS) rather than upgrading glibc on an existing distro.  But, if
your document is strictly concerned with upgrading then don't worry
about including it.

Dave