discuss: Glibc Mini-Howto

Subject: Re: Glibc Mini-Howto
From: ####@####.####
Date: 1 Feb 2004 10:39:34 -0000

David,

> Nice document.  I could have used something like this when I first
> tried compiling glibc from source.  As you said, there are many stones
> to trip over along the way.  I especially like the section on
> troubleshooting and backing out if things go wrong.  Very valuable
> information!

Thanks!

> Here are a few suggestions:
>
> * You'll need a licence for the document like the GNU Free
> Documentation License or something similarly open.

Is there an URL for a ready-made part which I just need to insert?

> * You might want to ask around about LaTeX to DocBook conversion as
> TLDP requires DocBook or LinuxDoc for markup languages.  Somebody on
> this list or the ####@####.#### list might know a good conversion
> tool.

At the moment I am learning to write docBook, on the first glance it
is quite easy to learn.

> * You might want to mention the INSTALL file in the glibc source that
> gives details on the required versions of make, gcc and so on that are
> needed to build.  This could help people decide how much hassle it's
> going to be to upgrade.

Ack. I put it on my todo-list

> * You might suggest having a boot/rescue diskset handy as an
> alternative to compiling statically-linked bash, coreutils, etc.  This
> could be a great time-saver.

Indeed a good idea, and I have an even better one: There are several
Try-Out-Versions of Linux, which come on a single CD and have
everything you need bundled with it, e.g. Knoppix
(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) all you need to do is
download the image and burn it on CD could not be simpler ....

> * There are also some configure options you might mention that can be
> used to force glibc to install in a directory other than
> /usr/local/lib.
>   For example './configure --prefix=/usr; make; make
> install_root=/var/tmp install' will build glibc for use in /lib and
> /usr/lib, but do the actuall installing into /var/tmp/lib and
> /var/tmp/usr/lib.

I think it is okay to mention it, but I for myselft don't like to
support those proprietery structures in the file System like e.g.
with the SuSe-Distribution; I had a lot of hassle with it, and I
still have because everytime you install something in the normal way,
you can be certain you will get collisions with the old versions e.g.
I installed the new gcc and made a  test with gcc -v still giving me
the old version, because of the path environent in which /usr/bin was
listed in front of /usr/local/bin
But I will take it into account.

> Dave

> http://lists.tldp.org/

C.U. MC Murphy
PGP-fingerprint: 8640 43BF 0807 8349 67F4  C0CE CBA9 83BA 197B 3ED4